Sunday, January 3, 2016

Christmas projects

Now that Christmas is gone, and the general havoc of having your children and grandchildren in the house for several days is done, AND clean up and put-away has happened, I feel that I can take the time to share some of the things I made as Christmas presents. :) We loved having our family here and wouldn't change it for the world, but the days are certainly VERY busy while they are all here (5 grandchildren from ages 8 months to 8 years).
 
Below shows 4 of the 8 placemats that I made for my daughter's mother-in-law. Natalie had asked me to make them for her, so of course, I said I would. The pattern is Crazy Patch Placemats from Merry's Stitchins. It uses 8 fat quarters and is a stack-and-whack. I think they make up very nicely.
 
Next is jelly roll race quilt I made for my other daughter Sarah. She had sewn up some new pillow covers for her living room and repainted the room, so I thought a pretty lap quilt to match would be a good idea. I used from a variety of Moda jelly rolls to get the colors I wanted to use, plus some Kona solids, including the backing and binding fabric.


On this quilt, I stitched in the ditch on every other row with decorative stitching and then FMQed every other pair of rows, some with stars and hearts, some with stippling.


I even got kind of clever and stitched their names in a corner (I don't know if they've noticed that yet--I didn't point it out to them.)
 

 
Another project I did was Points and Poinsettias (my 3rd of this pattern). I don't know who wrote the pattern--sorry about that. This one is for my sister-in-law in AZ. We will take it to her when we head down there to visit them. 

 
Here's a close-up of some of the quilting and the beadwork.

 
My last project was this snowman panel from JoAnn's a few (?) years ago.
I actually had 2 of them and made one for me and one for Natalie.
Now each of the girls have a Halloween and a Christmas wall hanging.
Think I'll work my way through several holidays for them. :)
 
 
Now I'm working on the quilt pattern "Dancing Colors" by Denise Russell of Pieced Brain. It was featured in the Moda Bake Shop not too horribly long ago. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to make it. I'm even using the same Sandy Gervais designed fabric that Denise used. I love Sandy Gervais' designs.
Happy 2016, everyone, and may it be full of stitches and laughter! (I'm hosting a Sew Day for our quilt group this Tuesday--we will have plenty of laughter and stitching!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment