Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Driehaus Museum and other things

We visited a wonderful museum in Chicago last Friday with cousins Tom & Carolyn DeCoursey.
This is the Richard Driehaus Museum--an opulent mansion that was finished in 1887 at a cost of over $450,000. I sure wonder how much that is in today's dollars. It was restored by Driehaus and contains some of his collections--Tiffany and, right now, an exhibit of some of his original posters. The house is wondrous with 17 kinds of marble, and wood everywhere.

The outside doesn't look very auspicious (the building with columns to the right is not part of the mansion), but walk in.


Above is the dining room. The silver punch bowl on the table is Tiffany.


Every room had a different pattern in the floor--this one reminds me of  the log cabin design--and notice the Tiffany lamp.


My cousins posing by one of the posters.


This room has Islamic influence in the woodwork.


Even the toilets are awesome. :)


I have made a few things--this burlap bag and matching wallet was sold at our church's district conference auction.


This baby blanket will be given away in a week or 2--I don't think I had "tied" it yet with decorative stitches on my sewing machine. It's all done now.


This spiral runner still needs to be quilted, but the one below is all finished.


I taught this lesson at our quilt club in September.

I have some Christmas gifts in progress now, so I can't share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment