Sunday, July 19, 2020

One Block Wonder



I have wanted to make a One Block Wonder for a long time, ever since I saw an article in Mary Jane's Farm magazine about a man who had made many of them. They were stunning!
Then I found the book, One Block Wonders, by Maxine Rosenthal, and bought it. I also bought some pieces of fabric that I thought might work. Tried one and when I started sewing the hexies, they looked the same as the original fabric, so that project stopped. Fast forward several years to some months ago when high school friend Cindy posted on facebook that she was making one from panels. The light went on in my head: I had 5 panels of the same thing (Tivoli Garden by Wilmington Prints), just needed one more, and surely I could manage getting this done now! My friend Jo had bought a number of these panels (where I got the original 5 to make a chenille panel) so I asked if she had one more I could get from her--and the magic began!


I wish I had taken more pictures of the project in process, but I didn't.
Here's one of my hexies partially arranged.


And another of all of them. As you can see along the top and bottom, especially, you sew half-hexies and then arrange them into whole hexies and sew row by row. I had several black hexies that I had sewn and ended up taking them apart to put along the sides so I wouldn't have to cut off any of the pretty hexies.


I didn't want borders to distract and ended up using black binding to keep the distraction to a minimum.
I named it Floral Fantasy.

                                                     

My quilting is one of Lori Kennedy's designs--easy and pretty.



Here's the back. These are other Wilmington Prints, not in the same line so don't quite match, but work for the back.


Now I'm working on a bargello. Had the strip sets sewn together for several months and got after it as soon as Floral Fantasy was done. Stay tuned!

AND I am working on my post in the Christmas Now and Then hop, hosted by Carol of Just Let Me Quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment