Friday, September 23, 2016

Finishes

Sorry that you get views of my carpet but...
Below is my finished Vortex--quilted and bound--started in the class I took from Debbie Kratovil at the Quilt Expo in Des Moines in May. I quilted a spiral in the middle all the way from the center until I hit a seam at the edge of the white. Then I did pebbles in the white corners and stippling in the polka dots and border. I did the spiral by starting in the very center FMQ for about 3" and then using my walking foot to keep the spirals the same width apart. I saw a tutorial on this, but I'm sorry to say that I don't remember who did it. The thread I used is a variegated gray/white from Aurifil.


I used Superior's King Tut in a bright variegated yellow to quilt Repeat and used the Bishop's Fan pattern. Started to mark with a pencil but finished marking with a frixion pen, even though you're not supposed to use them. I can't get the pencil off but the frixion came off fine with heat. Love those polka dots (above and below) and that dark turquoise American Brand solid (above and below).


This table runner is from the Tangent pattern which I never would have bought if I hadn't seen a sample similar to this one at Gee Gee's in Yelm, WA. (Thanks, Gee Gee's!!). It uses a 60 degree ruler--yea, another use for it!--but who would think of using this lilac fabric with it? Not me! I bought the fabric they used in the sample, used decorative stitch to quilt like they did, BUT I added the green inner border, and I think it's better that way. Love it! More purple for my house.


Sorry this is sideways, but I don't know how to rotate it here... this is one of those Stitch & Fold wreaths, but in a hexagon shape, and smaller than the one with squares. Also, I used precut hexagon shapes and they were out of the very stiff stuff so I will not use it again--holding and handstitching the points together was no picnic. Next time I'll use foam. It is lovely though. Now I want to make a leaf-shaped one. 

One more--not sewing but this little gray hairstreak landed on my toe the other day when I was sitting outside with my feet up, and it stayed there for a long time--many minutes. It's little antenna-looking things on its back end are moving so fast you can't see them in the photo. Lovely creature!


Almost forgot--I won 2nd place in the Joy Studio/Handmaids pincushion challenge! I can't believe it! The creative juices were flowing for all those who participated--amazing!! Some of the pincushions I made are going to the Faith in Action sale this Saturday--at the craft table that HCE is running. Thanks, Janet, for having the Joy Studio pincushion challenge!!


1 comment: