Today I get to share some of my now finished UFOs.
The first one is from earlier this year, but I've had the kit since 2018 when we went to Oregon for a family reunion. I bought this kit in Nampa, ID, at Bluebird Quilt Studio. It is called Paradise Blooms.
Earlier this year I decided to take it to our annual quilt retreat and put the top together there. Then it lay around until I got inspired to quilt it in June, I think.
I love the wildflowers in it that make me think of the West.
Next up are some things my aunt Harriette gave me when she was cleaning out her sewing room (way back in 2014 when a cousin and I each drove from our homes [CO and IL] to sew with Harriette [in KS]). She just didn't want to deal with some of her projects, so, of course, I took them!
This summer I decided it was time to do something with them, so here they are:
This piece is small, maybe 13 x 10" and looks like she used the Reflection pattern by Dragon Lady Quilts. I had been wanting to make one for myself, so after quilting and binding Harriette's project, I made my own (possibly included in another post, but it's not a UFO so doesn't belong here. LOL) I really like this little piece--makes your eyes go wonky, doesn't it?
Harriette loves to do needle turn applique and takes projects with her everywhere she goes.
This St. Nicholas (I assume that's who this is) is a piece she gave me. I decided to finish it with a simple black binding, quilting it with loops, to hang at Christmas time. St. Nick is only about 8" wide.
Then there is this absolutely stunning piece of applique! I couldn't believe she would want to get rid of it! She even had the purple border around it. All I had to do was quilt and bind it. Thankfully, I had some purple that matched for the binding. This piece is about 14 x 14. I love the different techniques used on some of the flowers!
This is one I posted a few years back, after I finally finished it. Harriette had "inherited" parts of this Thimbleberries BOM from 2006, I believe, and was not interested in doing anything with it. I think 7 blocks were done and there were 8 more to embroider and small pieces of some fabrics too (thankfully, a labeled selvage as well on one piece). I could not find a pattern but did find pictures of the quilt on line and used those pictures to create some of the other blocks. I shopped in many quilt stores until I actually found a bunch of the fabric (this is now 2015 or later) but still had to substitute some fabrics. With pieced centers for the corner blocks and help from a quilter in NY who had extra center pieces that I could embroider, I was finally able to finish the whole thing.
I quilted a block at a time and then put the whole thing together. It's big, as you can see. Sorry about the lack of cropping--you get to see some of my antique dishes in my hutch!
Harriette said she didn't think about my turning something so dark and undesirable (to her) into something so beautiful!
Well, that's it for this time. Thanks to Joan of Moosestash Quilting for hosting this hop.