Finally, my November Crafter's Edge project!
I had the blocks done before the first of November, but could I get the rest of it done that soon--not a chance!
I'm pleased to finally have finished it this very morning!
There are 2 sizes in the set, and I decided to use both.
Here is one block:
I originally thought I would make the larger fan only, but the negative space on the opposite corner seemed to be begging to be filled, so I put the smaller one there. I was surprised to need so many blades on the smaller one, but they are a lot skinnier than the bigger blades, so...duh!
The fabric I used was Snow Much Fun by Deb Strain for Moda. It's several years old, and I had used much of the fat quarter bundle for a quilt. I thought I'd use leftovers for this table runner.
Since I was using scraps, I didn't have enough green for an inner border, so I made a flange instead. Below is how NOT to put a flange on with the outer border.
Jack the Ripper and I took out those stitches, and I redid the flange:
Oh, yes, and I had to use a sort of scrappy outer border since I didn't have enough of any one fabric...
Next was quilting the thing:
Here's a closeup of the quilting, although it's still not very visible:
The border is a loop to loop design (one of my favorite border designs), and when I decided how to top stitch the binding, I didn't realize that my chosen decorative stitch matched the quilting until I was about 2/3 around the binding. Serendipity!
You can see the binding is very scrappy--less and less of these fabrics to be found!
Here it is on my ironing board. It's kind of big: about 17 x 58".
The Crossover II
made cutting the fan blades and quarter circles very easy.
Thanks, Crafter's Edge for the opportunity to be on the Design Team!!
I recommend this die cutting machine and all the dies to everyone. They are very helpful!