Thursday, November 8, 2018

Pick a Pumpkin--My Turn

Well, it's my turn today in Carla's fantastic hop. I have seen some fantastic projects! What an inspiration these hops are. 

First off, I  thought I'd show you some other kinds of pumpkins. We decorated our church for last weekend's hosting of our IL/WI district conference. Below are some of our decorations.



The photos below are at church too but those pumpkins are some I made a few years ago. I made more but gave most away. Glad I kept a couple of them.



This photo is at the entrance to our home. I made the small wall hanging a number of years ago (It's a Debbie Mumm design) but never did quilt it. It looks fine anyway.


Thought I'd show you a couple of my little "pumpkins" when we took them "trunk or treating" at the preschool. Amelia is 5 and Camella is 3. Their parents were out of town so we got to watch them.


Now on to my project for this hop...
I had seen a quilt with the pumpkin made in strips but stitched into the background strips. In fact, yesterday's blogger, Kathy of Hazel’s Daughter created a table topper much like that quilt. I didn't want a quilt--I wanted a wall hanging about 30" square--so I took scrap orange 2.5" strips and stitched them together until I had something about the right size, drew a pumpkin shape, and cut it out. Then I stitched background 2.5" strips together until I had a big enough background. I cut a stem from a scrap of brown. Then I appliqued the pumpkin onto the background. I used scraps of green to cut a leaf and curly tendrils. I used my Go Baby Accuquilt cutter for the blackbirds. My walking foot did the quilting and more leftover 2.5" strips made the binding.
TA DA!


Many thanks to Carla for hosting this wonderful hop! Enjoy all the other hoppers!
Here is today's round-up:



35 comments:

  1. Your pumpkin quilt is gorgeous! I also really like those fabric pumpkins you gave away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pumpkin with the blackbirds. Great addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The blackbirds were an afterthought. A friend suggested a crow. :)

      Delete
  3. Your pumpkin quilt with the blackbirds is so cute! That's a great idea in a grand size! I like that giant sunflower on the post in the background too, not to mention your other pumpkins you made! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute wall hanging! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comments. Glad you visited.

      Delete
  5. Loads of fun pumpkin goodness here -- great job! I adore the quilt -- very whimsical and charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved spying all the pumpkins in the decorating pictures. And fantastic giant pumpkin too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the decorating and your pretty wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pumpkins all look so nice - especially those "little pumpkins". I love your little mini with the blackbirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sure do love our little pumpkins & look forward to seeing them again soon.

      Delete
  9. Love looking thru your photos. It's always fun to see how everyone decorates. Great pumpkin project. Sometimes I forget about those GO dies and how much they add to a project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks. It was pretty easy-you should make one too. :)

      Delete
  11. What a lovely pumpkin patch you have today. I really like the stripy pumpkin wall hanging. The details really make the quilt. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :-) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was happy to use scraps. Need to find more ways to do that. :)

      Delete
  13. I love all of your pumpkin projects even the "little" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great wall hanging. the blackbird and curling tendrils are just perfect for showcasing the pumpkin. Great pictures of the other pumpkins inhabiting your life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful pumpkin project!!! Thanks for showing your decorating pics. Decorating is not my best skill so I need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Wall hanging. Love all Those pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your pumpkin decor. Your little trunk and treaters are pretty cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. To me, those granddaughters are the stars of the show, but all of us who have grandkids know that. :)

      Delete
  18. What a cute, cute quilt/wall hanging. One big pumpkin was perfect and I thank you for sharing how you achieved it. The blackbirds were a wonderful addition. I clicked on the picture so I could see the details better. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blackbirds are a great addition to your projects. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the fabulous inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun post with so many pumpkins to see. I really like your pumpkin wall hanging. There's just something about strip piecing that works so perfectly with pumpkins. Thank you for joining the Pick a Pumpkin blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute wall hanging and I think you chose the best way to get your beautiful pumpkin on your quilt! I was trying to figure out how you sewed each orange strip with such a perfect curve on to each strip of background!! I just figured you were a curve-piecing genius...until I found out you were just a genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you are too kind. Just being practical. :) So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  23. Awe what a cute wall hanging. Love the little blackbird too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pumpkins just belong on quilt projects, don't they? I think I saw the same pumpkin strip quilt that inspired me to make my little table topper. It was a tricky one to make and kept my seam ripper busy as I took seams apart and added strips to the ends. Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pumpkin quilt is marvellous. Love how you added the blackbirds. Thanks for the glimpses of your other considerable projects too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, that was fun to read! I really like your pumpkin and bird quilt. Perfect for the fall!

    ReplyDelete