Monday, May 17, 2021

My Day for Born to Be Wild and Crafter's Edge

 I have 2 projects to share for my turn in this blog hop. Both projects used dies from Crafter's Edge and the Crossover II die cutting machine from Crafter's Edge. 

This is the Crossover II at work cutting 2" tumblers.


These are all the dies I used in my first project. I used the smallest and largest tumblers, all the hearts, and all the balloons but the largest. I found that cutting 4 layers of tumblers at a time worked best for me. When I ironed Heat N Bond Lite on the fabrics for appliques, I cut 2 layers at a time and that worked well.


So, first I cut out stacks of 6" tumblers using fabrics I had in my stash that made me think "Wild."


Then I arranged them on my design wall in an order that was pleasing to me.
Once they were up there, I thought adding some black sashing (1 1/4" strips) would look nice.
I sewed pairs of tumblers together and then stitched on the sashing.


After I had the center of the top together, I made strips of 2" tumblers to put into the borders.


Here's a border in process--1 1/4" strip, 2" tumbler strip, 2" strip on the outside.


After I had the entire top together, I quilted it on my Juki Miyabi.
(Please excuse the pathetic orchid to the left--I am hoping it will rejuvenate but have my doubts.)


Here is the finished top, but I am not done with it yet!


I added lots of applique! I couldn't decide whether I wanted all those bright colors on this quilt, but after laying some on the top, I decided I rather liked it after all. The elephant is a coloring page that I enlarged. When I stitched the larger balloon strings so that the elephant was holding some of the balloons, it was impossible to see them, so I couched some black rattail (I think that's what it's called) using my couching foot on my Juki. Those strings still don't show very well, but they are a lot better than they were! She's done--I haven't figured out a name for it yet, kind of thinking of "A Parade of One." 


Here it is outside on our clothesline. I added a dot in the iris of the eye to give the elephant a little spark.

You can see that white dot better in this picture, I think, and the balloon strings are more visible too.




My next project is not necessarily wild, but it is plant-related, so sort of wild???

I made a bunch of flower pincushions using Crafter's Edge flower dies. I love working with wool, and these are all cut out of wool and wool felt. I made the ladybug, butterfly, and flower pins, by breaking the shanks off buttons and hot gluing the buttons onto needles. The pincushions are stuffed with poly fiberfil. These made a wonderful project to work on while watching tv. I love my bouquet of flowers!


This is the flower die set I used.


Thanks to Crafter's Edge for allowing me to be on their design team!
And thanks to Carol at Just Let Me Quilt for hosting this blog hop!
Be sure to visit everyone else!













34 comments:

  1. 'Gott love tumbler quilts, and yours is really nice. I love the appliques too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danice! I'm glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. I love your creative quilt, and those sweet pin cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You went over the top with your wild quilt. I love it. I also like your flowers. They go well with your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your wild quilt! The pincushions are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt, (before the applique), really represents giraffes well. Not sure if that was your intention lol. Your flower pincushions are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I even liked your wild quilt before you appliqued it, and then it took on a whole new life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing Carol! Your quilt is great! I love the tumbler die and might have to add it to my collection. Your pincushions are also so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the fabrics in your tumbler blocks. The elephant is adorable. Thanks for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both projects are great. I like the tumbler quilt in that wild fabric. I too love wool felt and those are sweet pincushions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really went "wild" with those CE dies...love it! I thought your tumbler quilt was beautiful even before you added the applique, but that elephant, hearts, and balloons really took it up a notch. Wow! Those pincushions are just too cute and need to go on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a tumbler lover and I adore what you did with the small tumbler blocks in the border very creative. The elephant is so very sweet with his balloons and hearts. Then there are the pincushions with their very WILD pins. great job all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your parade of one is wonderful. The elephant and balloon additions take it to a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tumbler quilt is just beautiful by itself (love the little tumblers on the side), but the addition of the little elephant is adorable! He is such a happy little guy with all of those balloons. Absolutely in love with your pincushions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grand project. Those fabrics are wild. The addition of the elephant and bright balloons is a fabulous idea. "A Parade of One" is a perfect title idea. When I saw the elephant with just a few balloons left, I thought of "Letting Loose".

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your tumbler elephant quilt. So fun and happy. What pretty pincushions. And yes I agree, flowers are sorta wild so they fit in.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the background on this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that quilt looks wonderful, I would have been happy without the balloons and elephant but they definitely finish it beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  18. That quilt is so much fun with the background and then the fabulous applique!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The background of the quilt is great! And I was thinking "cool use of the fabrics." Then, I saw the applique! Very neat. I love your idea of using colouring pages and enlarging them. (Maybe great minds think alike? :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is pretty wild! I like the addition of the elephant to the jungle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, gorgeous projects. I really love your pincushions. They're so fun and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, I love your wildlife quilt. It's amazing just how much that adorable applique changes up the "mood" of the quilt. What fun! And talk about fun...those pincushions would make any sewing space giggle with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cute is this elephant quilt! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh your quilt turned out fabulous. Love the applique. Your pincushions are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful quilt! I love the color combo you used. It definitely has me thinking wild!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's adorable. I love to use coloring books for applique.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your project definitely fits the WILD theme of the Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how you put the black sashing in between the blocks! Looks really cool! xx

    ReplyDelete