Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Give It a Whirl--My Turn

 

Well, today is my turn for Give It a Whirl, hosted by Carol S of Just Let Me Quilt.
I knew I wanted to do something with pinwheels and when I saw this pattern on line, I decided to use it. From Monday's posts, I see I was not the only one who thought 3-D pinwheels would be fun. LOL!
The pattern said to cut 5" squares into 2.5" squares to make the pinwheels, but I decided to keep the charms full size. Using 2 charm packs, I was able to make this baby quilt.

I used some quilting from my Dot to Dot Quilting lessons from Angela Walters. I guess that kind of continues the spinning. On the outer border, I did one of my favorites--ribbon candy.

Below is the Dot to Dot Quilting panel I ordered from Angela in order to follow her instructions. It kind of spins since the colors change as your eyes move around the design.
This is the second series I have completed from her. I have learned a lot, and I especially like this dot to dot method of hers.

I know the wallet below has no pinwheels or spinning (well, the turn clasp) on it, but it sure made my head spin while I was making it. It is the Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline Bags. This is the 2nd one I've made because I was thinking of teaching a class on it at our LOQ. I don't think I want to do that...
Anyway, I used waxed canvas for the outside. That is a unique experience--my 50 wt Aurifil thread breaks periodically while stitching, so I ended up finishing it with 40 wt Omni that I use for quilting.

Here is the inside of the wallet:

It has a lot of space for cards, bills, coins, a cell phone. One thing I meant to add were loops so I could attach a strap, but I forgot. Those are not in the pattern but should be.



Thanks, Carol, for another cool hop/challenge!

Please visit all the bloggers. It's always inspirational and fun!

MARCH 18








15 comments:

  1. I love the 3D pinwheels!!! I'll have to try that! Your quilt is great - as is the quilting. On another note ... I taught a Necessary Clutch class last week ... the turn clasp (not my favourite) took more than half the class. I would definitely recommend using a snap magnet instead! Much faster and personally, I like it better.
    quilting gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty quilt and bag. I need to learn how to make those 3D pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great whirly projects! That dot to dot is gorgeous. Love those colors. The wallet is really cute and I agree a strap would be a great addition and maybe a loop to clip keys too. Oh don't we all love to rewrite patterns! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts and quilting and lovely clutch/wallet. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilters think alike I guess, but I love being in the same boat with all the 3D pinwheels. So many different ideas on using them! I love how you quilted yours and they look adorable in those fabrics. Sweet clutch purse, too! Thank you, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 3D pinwheels are fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 3D pinwheels are fun and I love the clutch purse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty pinwheel quilt and handbag. That dot to dot is gorgeous. It looks like you sewed things together did beautiful quilting, then did watercolor paints. I'm in love with this one. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting really enhances the projects! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alright got the right post this time. lol Love the 3D pinwheels, they are the hit this hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! More 3D pinwheels!! Love your wallet too - so pretty and practical! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. More fun pinnies! I use Angela's dot to dot method on most of my quilting - hate ruler work. Very sweet wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your scrappy pinwheels, and your other projects as well.

    ReplyDelete