Tuesday, May 21, 2024

My Turn for On the Road

 Monday was a great start for this hop/challenge!! I'm looking forward to seeing all the rest of the inspiring work from this group of bloggers! Many thanks to Carol of Just Let Me Quilt for hosting!!

I decided to be brave and share the most likely one and only quilt I have made or will make from a photo. This is from a photo I took while hiking the Presque Isle River trail to Lake Superior in Upper Peninsula, MI, in July, 2022. I took a 2-session class at my LQS, Stewart's Sewing Machines, Mt. Zion, IL, at which we were encouraged by our super-talented teacher, Karen Edwards, to find a photo to reproduce. I really liked this photo so... Perhaps an easier one would have been better. Anyhow, I got all the fabric on the piece right away and a week or so later did some quilting on it. Even did a small practice piece first to see how it would work. Then this hung on my design wall for several months. Finally, in April, I decided to start quilting again and get the thing done. Hooray, it's finished! And I don't think this is for me. I'll leave it to Karen to make quilts from photos, and I will do my thing with more traditional and a few modern quilts.



P.S. The hike was amazing, beautiful, and led us to the shore of Lake Superior where we ate our lunches. It was a beautiful day!

Another project I just finished involved some traveling for the people pictured:


My quilt holder was having trouble hanging onto the quilt, so the photo is as good as it gets since I'm too lazy to try to get another photo somewhere else. :) This quilt has a story--a quilting friend found these fabrics in a "kit" at a rummage sale. Evelyn made a quilt like this one, and after I raved about it, she gave me the rest of the fabric. I reproduced her design but I didn't have enough border fabric. After searching the internet, the only place I found it was a shop in Canada (don't remember the name anymore--sorry), and I ordered all they had which was barely enough to do the borders. (The shipping cost more than the fabric, but I had to have it!) So now it's done, and there is still more fabric--just not the border. I have a big panel that I will probably make up for our church's district conference auction, but that will be another day. 

Thanks for visiting!
Enjoy the rest of the hop!





12 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece you reproduced from your hike. You get a gold star for finishing yours. I took a 2 day class years ago on doing that same thing and just came across all the "stuff" awhile back. Mine went in the trash. LOL!! Gorgeous Christmas quilt. Some things we do, to find those fabrics that really speak to our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you took the photo class and finally finished it. I'm not that brave to even try to recreate a photo. Yay for you! Your Christmas quilt turned out beautiful and I love the colors in it. I have had to do the same thing of paying more for the fabric than I should have, but it's worth it if you get something as amazing as this quilt. The border is incredible! Thanks for sharing, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilts, and great finishes! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects! Thanks for sharing. I would like to make a photo quilt with an image of my late dog, Rowdy, one day. Feeling inspired now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finishing your photo quilt! I think it's amazing that 1) you attempted it ... 2) you finished it ... 3) you showed it to us!!! I think it's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely projects! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photo quilt is fabulous. So great that you were brave enough to attempt it let alone finish it. Wonderful job.
    Your trip to Bethlehem quilt is stunning. Worth every bit of effort it took to get the fabric for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both quilts. The photo quilt is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful quilts! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, your photo mini is great. I take horrible photos, so I would have a mess of a quilt. Behlehem was a journey and it is a wonderful addition to the hop.

    ReplyDelete