Thursday, March 25, 2021

Salt and Sand--My Day

 Kudos to Carol at Just Let Me Quilt for hosting this wonderful hop!


I've seen SEW MANY creative ideas!

Today I'm sharing my projects. The first ones I'm sharing involve a panel that my SIL brought to me from Hawaii, oh, 7 or 8 years ago, I guess. I could never figure out what to do with it and finally decided to take part of it for a table runner. 

Then Carol said she was hosting this hop and I KNEW I was going to get this made!

Here it is: I used half of the panel pieces to make the runner. I wanted to use the bright flowers so it would show up better on my coffee table. My SIL brought me the turtle fabric too.


Then I decided that I might as well use up the rest of the panel pieces and make a narrow wall hanging. 
It works quite well on a door. This is at the head of our stairs, and I like to keep something hanging on it. For the borders this time, I used a batik from my stash. It matches perfectly.
I FMQed both items with wavy lines using my Juki QVP sit-down quilting machine.


The last project is a quilt top--I haven't had time to get it quilted, but have worked frantically to get it all in one piece. This is my Alaska quilt.
The top, bottom, and right side (map of SE Alaska) came from Northern Threads in Fairbanks, AK. The 2nd one down and the one on the left came from Changing Tides in Juneau. The Mendenhall glacier one (paper pieced in sections with no instructions on how to put it together--very weird seams, glad I somehow got it together) from Rain Tree Quilting in Juneau. The caribou piece came from Northern Heart Originals in Denali, and the salmon in the middle came from The Quilted Raven in Anchorage. In 2019 we were at each one of these shops. What a great trip (not just for the quilt shops, either)!!!
There is some Alaska batik in here, with maps of the state on it. 
It took some figuring to put it all together, but I think it looks pretty good.
I have a bunch more that I bought on that trip, so another quilt may be in order, but this one satisfies the Salt and Sand theme of this hop--and besides, I didn't have time to do more! Hee, hee!


Be sure to visit everyone else today!





26 comments:

  1. All your projects are gorgeous! Love the Alaska top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your panel projects are all really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects for this salt and sand theme! The runner and wall hanging are perfect displays for summer and imagining your are there looking into the deep blue sea. Your Alaska quilt is fabulous! Now that it is all together I’ll bet you’re pretty excited to get it quilted and finished. I know I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your projects are beautiful but you Alaska quilt top is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia, I really like that quilt top too. Lots of memories!

      Delete
  5. You were inspired by the hop's theme! Congratulations on the many projects that you completed and moved forward. Thanks for sharing.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! The panel was my inspiration.

      Delete
  6. Making three ocean projects for this hop is amazing! I love that you were able to pull from your Alaska and Hawaii fabric stash to create these beauties. Those whales on the Alaska quilt look gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your ocean fun with us, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a generous SIL, with lots of good taste. I really like the top border on that last one, but all three are wonderful for this hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All 3 are beauties. I can never have enough around me to remind me of Hawaii. Your Alaska quilt is really over the top amazing and another Salt and Sea great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you did with the Hawaii panel! Two great projects for two different places in your home is such a neat idea. Your Alaska quilt top is wonderful, too. I loved our trip to Alaska, but didn't think back then (2008) to bring home fabric souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness you have quilted up some beautiful treasurers! I love the Hawaii panels, but my heart belongs to the Alaska row quilt. It is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great projects, and great use of the fabrics to showcase them. Thanks for sharing! Love the Alaska row quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work. Loved the 2nd hanging; vertical makes finding a place for it so much easier. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job on turning those panel pieces into projects for the Hop! Best of luck on finishing your Alaska quilt, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neat to see 2 different uses for 1 panel. And that Alaska quilt is incredible. Each section is so unique and so lovely. What a great way to remember a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful wall quilt and quilt top. The fabrics are so so perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I lucked out with the fabrics going together so well.

      Delete
  16. Great finishes with your panel pieces and your Alaska quilt is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your panel quilts! Wish I could find those panels. Especially the floral ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great use of panel pieces - enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great use of a panel! Love them both, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how many pretty projects you used that panel in! Perfect for this hop! xx

    ReplyDelete