Wednesday, April 27, 2022

April with Crafter's Edge

 

I am pleased to be on the Crafter's Edge Design Team again for 2022!
Each month I will create a project using the Crossover II cutting machine and dies.
For April I chose the Dresden plate die set.

I used a canvas drop cloth (won from a blog hop sometime in the last year or 2) to cut out my canvas for the tote bag, approximately 22 x 24, leaving the top hemmed edge.
Then I cut out the shapes using the Crossover II and dies.
I cut 4 layers of fabric at a time. You can cut up to 6 layers.
See how thin that metal piece is? And there are no sharp edges. 
I am still amazed that it cuts! But it does!

I cut both sizes of the Dresden, but I didn't use the small one on this project. I'll save it for something else.


This is a photo of the Rounded Dresden die set.


I forgot to take photos of the applique process--sorry about that!
I put short strips of Steam a Seam on the backs of the blades after I had stitched the Dresden together and then pressed it onto one piece/side of my bag. This is BEFORE stitching the bag together, of course! Using the Steam a Seam to hold the whole thing down worked pretty well.
I used a blanket stitch on my machine for the edges of the blades and for the center circle.

After I finished the applique, I sewed the sides and bottom of my bag together, boxed the bottom, and added the webbing for straps. (I happened to have blue webbing.)
I'm happy to have had enough blue and yellow from my Stand for Ukraine quilt to use for this "sunflower" for Ukraine.


Thanks, Crafter's Edge for the privilege of being on your team!

I wasn't done with my Jellyroll Sizzle for my last post, but it is done now.
Here is the front, thanks to my custom quilt holder for letting me get a photo--hee, hee!
Not sure if you can see it very well, but there is an orange flange in the binding.


And here's the back. When the strips sets are cut to length, there is a little extra, so that is on the back, along with some of the extra JR strips. I off-set the placement of them so I didn't have to worry about getting it exactly in the center.


Until next time! 



No comments:

Post a Comment