Tuesday, August 23, 2022

See Ya Later--Tuesday edition

 It's my turn on the See Ya Later hop, hosted by Carla of Creatin in the Sticks.

I had just finished a wall hanging that I knew would be just right for this hop, so I haven't shown it on my blog yet...

I love Alaska and every part of it that I have seen so far.

I love some of the quilt shops there too, and one of my favorites is Northern Threads in Fairbanks.

I asked my sister-in-law for this kit from there as my Christmas present in 2021.

Here is my finished product:


My custom quilt holders are pretty special, right? :)
This is called Winter Solstice and is part of the 2021 Quilters' Trek.
It can be stitched as a 36" long piece or cut apart, the way I did.
The border is Northern Lights fabric I bought at The Patchwork Moose in Talkeetna, AK in 2019 when we were there. You can buy it here in the lower 48 now, but I hadn't seen it anywhere else at that point.

On that 2019 trip, I bought several kits at Northern Threads.

Because my SIL had been diligent in getting row by rows from Juneau's Changing Tides (where my SIL lives and that's another one of my favorite shops) and a friend had been in Fairbanks in 2018 and got me that row by row,  plus those I got from a couple other shops in AK, I was able to put together an Alaska quilt.
I showed this a while back on my blog, but the See Ya Later hop makes it worth showing again.


The top and bottom panels are from Northern Threads (I absolutely LOVE the Whale Song panel on top).
The 2nd one down and the salmon ladder on the left are from Changing Tides in Juneau.
The elk panel is from Northern Heart Originals in Denali. 
Next one down (salmon) and the map of SE Alaska on the right are from The Quilted Raven in Anchorage (I bought several kits at this shop and it is another favorite shop).
The panel of the Mendenhall Glacier is from Raintree Quilts in Juneau. 
I visited every one of those shops in 2019. What a blast! 

I am just about Alaska-ed out with my quilt projects, though. I do plan to get after some of the other kits I bought--one is a raven and one is of the wildflowers, but I think I have plenty of salmon, elk, and moose for now.

If you haven't been to Alaska, you must go! And if you have only been to SE Alaska--which has its own unique beauty--get to the interior!!
There are other parts of Alaska I haven't seen yet, and I fully intend to get there some day.

Thanks, Carla, for hosting this fabulous hop!
Enjoy everyone else's post today and the rest of the week!







19 comments:

  1. Your kit from Fairbanks is lovely!!!
    I've only been to a few cruise ship ports ... one day, I'd like to explore more of Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that quilt. Have always wanted to travel to Alaska also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea! Makes us want to go to Alaska. Nice quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking us to Alaska. Your quilts are so pretty and I loved reading about all the rows. Visiting all those fabric shops in such a beautiful state had to be so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now you did it! You have made me want to go back to Alaska. Your absolutely right about it being an incredible place to visit. My youngest lived up there for 10 years and I spent a ton of time up their with him. I miss it so much. They have the best quilt shops and their row block were top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alaska has always been a place I'd love to travel to. Your wall hangings would be wonderful as a way to keep that idea in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing those special pieces of A beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilts. I have been to Alaska twice on cruises with side-trips off the ship. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Winter Solstice quilt, Carol...it's gorgeous! It looks icy cold in those colors which is perfect for an Alaska quilt. I've never been there, but it sounds beautiful. Thanks for sharing your travel projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The winter solstice quilt is gorgeous. The colors are beautiful, and I love the squares and rectangles that represent the northern lights.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Travel to Alaska is definitely on my list! Thank you for sharing your beautiful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two beautiful quilts to remind you of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just back from Alaska my self and I loved the Rushin' Tailor Shop in Skagway. I bought 2 kits and some fabric and wish I'd had room for more. They had everything Alaska. I also went to Juneau's and ketchikan's too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous! I'd love to visit Alaska.. maybe one day :) xx

    ReplyDelete